RNLI - Barmouth Lifeboat Station

For more information about any of these News items please Click Here

Or follow us on Facebook at or on Twitter


Motocross Bike wash - 1st and 2nd November

Another busy Motocross event took place in Barmouth during the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of November.  The two days were well attended and again this year, the crew of Barmouth Lifeboat offered to hose down participants’ bikes after each event for a donation towards the RNLI.  They were kept very busy on both days and their efforts resulted in the sum of £370.00 being raised for the RNLI.

Sea and air search for missing windsurfer - Saturday 1st November

A report of a missing windsurfer sparked an extensive search for Aberdyfi and Barmouth RNLI lifeboats on Saturday 1st November.

The windsurfer had been spotted off Tywyn on Saturday afternoon and appeared to be in difficulties in the high winds and rough sea conditions.  A vigilant member of the public informed HM Coastguard, and Aberdyfi RNLI B Class Atlantic 75 was launched at 4.11 pm.  An extensive search was carried out, in and out of the surf off Tywyn and nothing was found. 

In view of the rough sea conditions and wind direction, it was thought that the sou’westerly Force 5 to 7 wind may have blown the windsurfer further north. In the failing light, Barmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat was also launched at 5.45 pm to search the area from Borthwen, Llwyngwril to Pen y Bwlch point. In addition, the RAF Search and Rescue helicopter was alerted and they also conducted a thorough search.

The operation continued until darkness fell and Barmouth RNLI ALB returned to the station at 10.00 pm.  It has since transpired that the windsurfer had managed to return to shore and was safe and well.

Barmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat launches to speedboat off Tonfanau - Sunday 28th September

Barmouth RNLI all-weather lifeboat the Moira Barrie was alerted at 12.35 pm on Sunday 28th September by HM coastguard to a report of a speedboat which had broken down seven miles off Barmouth.

Sandy and Simon Rocca were returning to Barmouth after a pleasant afternoon in Cardigan Bay on their 18ft speedboat Roccamore when their engine developed an electrical fault.  They contacted HM coastguard who immediately alerted Barmouth RNLI volunteers and the ALB was launched by 12.50 pm.  In the calm and clear conditions the volunteer crew located the vessel within 25 minutes, a towline was attached and the boat and its occupants towed in and tied alongside the pontoon in  Barmouth Harbour by 14.20.

Sandy and Simon and their Jack Russel, Whizz, were delighted to see the lifeboat come to their aid.  ‘When you are stuck out there with no power, it’s nice to know the RNLI are there to help.  We were very impressed with the efficient communication between the Coastguards and the RNLI’ said Simon.

The ALB returned to station at and was ready for service by 3.30 pm.

Barmouth RNLI All-weather lifeboat launches to local fishing boat - Friday 19th September

Barmouth RNLI All-weather lifeboat the ‘Moira Barrie’ launched on Friday 19th September to go to the aid of a fishing boat reported to be in difficulties one mile off Barmouth. 

The crew of the MV Aqua, a local lobster fishing boat, were unable to use their engine because a rope had become entangled around the boat’s propeller.

The ALB was launched at 8.45 am and in the clear, calm conditions were soon alongside the fishing boat.  The volunteer crew attached a line to the stricken vessel and she was towed in to Barmouth harbour.  The ALB returned to station by 10 am.

‘Stories of the Sea’ talk raises £1,200 for RNLI

A generous crowd of locals and visitors to the area filled the Dragon Theatre on Wednesday evening, 17th September, when Norma Stockford, Barmouth RNLI Voluntary Lifeboat Press Officer, gave an illustrated talk on Barmouth’s historic connection with the sea.

Norma’s ‘Stories of the Sea’ included the Legend of Cantre’r Gwaelod, along with the history of the ferry and accounts of the harbour when it prospered as a flourishing fishing port in the 1960s and 70s.  There was also mention of some of the heroic lifeboat rescues undertaken during that period.

A raffle was held, with substantial prizes donated by generous local establishments, and the appreciative audience on the evening helped raise over £1,200 for the RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat launches to drifting dinghy- Sunday 14th September

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat the Clive Tanner launched at 10.31 on Sunday 14th September in response to a call from HM Coastguard who had received a report of a vessel drifting out to sea in the main channel.

The volunteer crew quickly located the vessel and after ascertaining that there was no-one on board or in the water nearby, they took the boat in tow and returned it to Barmouth harbour.

Barmouth RNLI launches to drifting speedboat - Saturday 6th September

Barmouth RNLI All-weather Lifeboat the Moira Barrie launched at 5.00 pm on Saturday 6th September in response to a call from HM Coastguard who had received a report of a speedboat which had broken down with two people and a child on board.

The vessel had left Pwllheli earlier in the afternoon and suffered engine failure 12 miles off Barmouth at the end of Sarn Badrig.  The driver of the boat telephoned home and his family in turn contacted the Coastguard Service.  Fortunately, they were able to supply their telephone contact with the exact co-ordinates of their position off St Patrick’s Causeway and Barmouth ALB volunteer crew were able to locate them quickly.

On arrival at the scene, they managed to start the engine and the ILB crew escorted the vessel in to Barmouth Harbour.  The ALB was back on station by 7.30pm.

RNLI Barmouth lifeboat blessed at Dedication Service - 31st August

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat crew were called out at 2pm on Sunday 31st August to a small boat seen drifting off Fairbourne.  On locating the vessel, it appeared that it was an empty tender which had broken loose. After a search of the area to ensure that there was no-one in the water and no life in danger, the volunteer crew returned to the station just in time to take part in the annual dedication service for Barmouth lifeboats at 3 pm.

The all-weather lifeboat, the Moira Barrie, was on display and the small congregation of volunteer crew, the Barmouth Mayor, local supporters and visitors assembled in front of the boathouse for a service of hymns and prayer conducted by the Reverend Kevin Horswell.  Readings were by members of the Barmouth Elim Pentecostal Church and the Presbyterian Church of Wales and the Lifeboat Prayer was read in English and Welsh by RNLI Coxswain Peter Davies.

The Rev. Horswell reminded those gathered of the important role the lifeboats serve in our seaside community and concluded the service with a prayer for the safety of those rescued and for the crews who risk their lives to save others.

Two Bank Holiday launches for Barmouth RNLI - 25th August

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat Clive Tanner was launched at 1.50pm on Monday 25th August to an 11 year old boy in a rubber dinghy who had been blown offshore in the fresh easterly breeze.  The young lad had struggled to swim ashore where he was airlifted to Ysbyty Gwynedd.  The dinghy was later recovered by the lifeboat volunteer crew.

The ILB returned to station when another call was received from HM Coastguard alerting the volunteer crew to a kayaker in difficulties off Caerddaniel caravan site, Llanaber.  The ILB was immediately relaunched at 3.15pm.  On their arrival at the scene, the casualty had managed to get ashore and was in the care of the Coastguard service personnel.

Fundraising success for RNLI on Sunday Funday - 17th August

Many tourists took shelter from the strong winds on Barmouth promenade on Sunday 17th August to enjoy the annual Sunday Fun Day put on by fundraisers from the Barmouth Branch of the RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea.

The All Weather lifeboat, the Moira Barrie, was on display out on the beach and crowds enjoyed the stalls, raffles, games, and barbecue as well as the chance to chat to the crew in front of the lifeboat station.  The Cox in the Stocks was popular again this year, with children eager for the opportunity to soak the coxswain with wet sponges – some of them getting pretty wet themselves too!

£1,160.33 was raised on the day, which, when match-funded by Barclays Bank will total a magnificent £2,160.33.  The RNLI would like to thank Barclays for their generosity and the general public for their continued support to this worthy cause.

RNLI Fundraisers honoured

At the Annual General Meeting of Barmouth and District RNLI Fundraising Committee, Deborah Ferns, Community Fundraising Manager for North Wales and the West presented the RNLI’s bronze badge to June Davies in recognition of her contribution to fundraising activities over many years. 

For the past ten years June has very successfully managed the Lifeboat Souvenir shop, organising her band of reliable volunteers and producing healthy profits each year for the RNLI.  More recently, she has taken over the post of Barmouth Branch Fundraising Treasurer. In addition to these essential roles, June regularly provides help at Barmouth Lifeboat Fundraising events and the award recognises her significant contribution to the RNLI.

Fundraising Chairman, Wendy Ponsford, said "There would be no RNLI, as we know it, without the behind-scenes dedication of fundraising and lifeboat management volunteers. This award is in recognition of the many hours of hard work which June has given to the RNLI. All those involved in the Barmouth and District Branch are delighted to hear of this very well-deserved honour.”

(Pictured is June Davies receiving her badge from Deborah Ferns.) 

RNLI come Visit Us day - Sunday 27th July 2014

Barmouth RNLI held an extremely successful ‘Come Visit us Day’ on Sunday 27th July 2014.  Organised by Visits Officer Wendy Cleaver, members of the public were invited to come to the lifeboat house to see the boats at first hand.

The event is held annually to raise awareness of the importance of the RNLI in our seaside community, to thank the public for their support, both locally and nationally, and to give them an insight into how their donations are used.

Wendy and her team worked relentlessly from 10am to 4.30 pm guiding hundreds of visitors, young and old, through the station. Each one had the chance to view the two lifeboats and the tractor, to examine the equipment and to meet and speak with volunteer crew members to learn exactly what happens on a lifeboat shout.  Goody bags of RNLI souvenirs were handed out by children of the crew – our fundraisers and crew of the future perhaps!

Admission was free and although this is not designed to be a fund-raising event, donations made by generous members of the public on the day amounted to over £350, which will go to help provide a first class service to save lives at sea.

A hectic week for Barmouth Lifeboat

The volunteer crew of Barmouth Lifeboat have had a hectic time during the spell of hot weather with ten shouts within the space of a week. There were several calls to small dinghies and inflatables.

On Friday 18th July at 6.51 pm, the Inshore Lifeboat launched to a small inflatable drifting off St Marys Church, Llanaber. There were  two adults and two children on board and the boat’s outboard had broken down. When the ILB arrived at the scene, the occupants had managed to make their way ashore. The volunteer crew checked to ensure all were safe and well before returning to station.

On Wednesday 23rd July the ILB launched to a dinghy off Sunnysands and again at 10.17 am on 25th July they launched to a report of an inflatable adrift in the channel between the perch and the bar.  The two male occupants, who were in the water, were taken on board the ILB and delivered to the safety of the shore. Both were in good health but a little shaken by their ordeal. Later that day, a dinghy with two people on board was reported to be drifting off the main stanchion of Barmouth bridge. The ILB towed crew and boat to safety and transferred the casualties to HM Coastguard mobile unit.

There were also calls to search for missing children on the beach during the hot spell. On Tuesday 22nd July – two seven-year old children were reported missing, and while on exercise on the 26th July, the ILB was  diverted to search for missing child. Thankfully, on each occasion, the children were found safe and well.

On 23 July the ALB launched to a 36’ Moody with a fouled propeller drifting 5 miles SW of Barmouth. The Yacht Crwydr was towed into harbour.

On 24 July there were two shouts; the first at 18.20 to a 75 year old kayaker off Friog, and later that evening at 10.14 pm a most unusual call was received from HM Coastguard. A heavily pregnant young woman, reported to be somewhere in the vicinity of the Mawddach Trail, had called the emergency services because she suspected she may be in the early stages of labour. In view of the fact that there may have been no vehicular access to her location the ILB was tasked to help out in case she needed transporting to an ambulance.  It transpired that the lady was near the Barmouth end of Barmouth bridge where the mum-to-be was met by the coastguard and was safe and well. The three relieved volunteer crew members were back on station with the ILB by 23.14.

Barmouth All Weather Lifeboat launches to aid of yacht - Tuesday 15th July

In response to a request from the Maritime Coastguard Agency, Barmouth Relief All-weather Lifeboat ‘Bingo Lifeline’ was launched at 10.10 am on Tuesday 15th July 2014.

The 34 foot yacht, with two persons on board, had been visiting Barmouth and was on its way out of harbour when it lost power off Llwyngwril, approximately 3 miles south-west of Barmouth. The skipper thought there might be a rope fouling the yacht’s propeller.
The RNLI volunteers attached a line to the stricken vessel and towed it back into harbour to allow her crew to make further investigations before resuming their journey. 

Barmouth Lifeboats launched to stranded Fishing Boat - Thursday 3rd July

Barmouth RNLI all weather lifeboat (ALB) launched today, Thursday 3rd July, to go to the aid of a local fishing boat aground on rocks inside the north bank near the perch.
The 40ft fishing vessel Thelma, with three persons on board, had been returning from fishing late on Wednesday evening when it developed fuel starvation problems.  The skipper was in the process of investigating the cause of the problem when the south-westerly winds pushed them onto rocks inside the north bank.  As the boat was hard aground, the skipper and crew decided to drop anchor and wait for daylight to see if they could float off on the tide the following day.

The RNLI volunteer crew were alerted at 11.17 am and the ALB launched at noon with the hope that the vessel might refloat at high water at 12.38 pm.  The Inshore Lifeboat stood by in case any of the crew had to be taken ashore. Efforts to refloat the vessel were unsuccessful and as there was no danger to life it was anchored on the beach for repairs to the hull to be made.  Because of the falling tides, it is anticipated she will remain neaped until the spring tides are high enough to float her off in a week’s time.    


Three Peaks Success pays dividends for Barmouth RNLI

The volunteer crew and friends of Barmouth lifeboat are delighted to have exceeded their goal in raising money for the RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea.  On the weekend of 14th and 15th June they scaled the three highest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales, a total climb of over 11,000 feet, in under 24 hours with all sponsorship going to the RNLI.
When the mountain work had been completed it was time to count up their success in monetary terms, and although a large part of the proceeds is still to come in, they have raised well in excess of £4,000. Through gift-aid, charities can reclaim the basic rate of tax on the contributions made by UK tax-payers and when this is included, the total could easily top £5,000.

Gwynedd Councillor Gethin Williams joined the crew to show his support in this remarkable achievement and Coxswain Peter Davies, whose wife Lark accompanied him on the challenge, said ‘This was an exercise in teamwork like no other.  We took with us three of the youngest new recruits and we were all delighted with their energy, dedication and enthusiasm.  I know they will go on to make excellent volunteer crew members.’ He went on to say ‘I would like to thank everyone, from the Barmouth area and further afield, for their unstinting generosity in helping us to achieve such an astonishing amount. It makes all our efforts worthwhile.’


Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat launches to inflatable - Saturday 28th June

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat (ILB) was alerted at 4.30 pm on Saturday 28th June when a report was received that a dinghy off the north end of the promenade appeared to be drifting out to sea.  Volunteer crew members launched the ILB only to discover that the dinghy was an inflatable toy whale.

After ensuring that no-one was in trouble in the area, and before returning to shore, they were again alerted by HM Coastguard to what was thought to be a jetski a considerable distance offshore.  The Coastguards were concerned because the craft appeared to be stationary for a long period of time.  On arriving at the scene, the volunteer crew discovered a small dinghy with three persons on board.  After ensuring that they were all well, the crew returned to the boathouse.

Pictured from their recent 3 peaks challenge :-
Back row l to r: Gethin Williams, Matt Courtney, Richard Williams, Helen Iles, Martin East, Dan Cartwright, Peter Davies, Ky Smith
Holding the flag: Glen Morris, Jackie Thomas and Lark Davies.

This was a first ‘shout’ for new crew members Dan Cartwright and Andrew Collins and although it turned out to be a ‘false alarm with good intent’ it was a good first time experience for them.  Several new young recruits have recently joined Barmouth RNLI and as well as the excellent training received at the RNLI College in Poole all have now had first-hand experience of a real shout. 

Ky Smith and Martin East have also been involved in first-time lifeboat calls in recent weeks. But for these two young men, their commitment isn't only measured in the time spent involved in rescues, they recently joined more experienced members of the crew in successfully completing the arduous Three Peaks Challenge in 24 hours which proved to be a team building exercise to top all others!

Dog Show another howling success for Barmouth Lifeboat - Saturday 28th June

Following a very successful event last year, Barmouth RNLI fundraisers held their second Dog Show on Saturday 28th June.  Crowds collected in the sunshine as owners arrived to enter dogs of all sizes in a variety of categories. Winners and runners up of each category received a certificate and rosette, and there were even categories for the dog with the waggiest tail and the one who looked most like its owner!
The event was very ably adjudicated by Hugh Tudor Williams, of Williams’ Veterinary practice, and the prizes kindly presented by Barmouth Mayor John Sam Jones.  ‘Best in Show’ was awarded to Baz, a Kerry Blue Terrier shown by Izzy Cleaver, Baz also won the best medium-sized dog. Best small dog went to Sue Leyden’s Jack Russell, Patch and best large dog was Alfie the Afghan Hound, which proves that even rescue dogs can be champions!.  The show had been organised by Doreen Andrews, whose hard work realised £437.00 for the RNLI. 
The next event will be the Come and Visit Us day, on Sunday 27th July, when the doors of the lifeboat house will be thrown open for members of the public to have a guided tour ‘behind the scenes’.  It’s a perfect opportunity for everyone to see exactly how their donations help save lives at sea.

Winners and categories:



Shown by:

Best In Show

Baz ; Kerry Blue terrier

Izzy Cleaver

Best large dog

Alfie;  Afghan Hound

Jake Jarman

Best medium dog

Baz;  Kerry Blue terrier

Izzy Cleaver

Best small dog

Patch; Parsons Jack Russell

Sue Leyden

Child with dog


Lydia Crumpton

Best puppy


Carys Jones

Most obedient dog

Poppy; Cavalier King Charles spaniel

Wendy Washbrook

Best dog on holiday


Paul Gadsden, Walsall

Waggiest tail


Millie Roper

Best rescued dog

Alfie the Afghan

Jake Jarman

The dog most like its owner


Kate Taylor


Circa Nautica arrives at Barmouth RNLI - Monday 23rd June

Philanthropist and motorcyclist Matt Hawkes arrived at Barmouth RNLI lifeboat house on 23rd June as part of his ‘Circa Nautica’, an epic 4,500 mile journey around the coastline of Britain visiting over 170 RNLI Lifeboat Stations. This is the start of an ambitious three-year plan by Matt to raise £250,000 for the RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea.

Matt left the Lifeboat Station at Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk on the 5th June heading north-west on his Triumph Rocket III Touring to start Circa Nautica. The motorcycle has been specially painted for the event in orange and blue, similar to the RNLI colours.

Matt has already covered nearly 3,000 miles, taking in some of the most breathtaking views and spectacular contours of the dramatic coastlines up the east coast of the UK to Scotland, and down the west coast of England to Wales. He is on target and hopes to be back in Norfolk by the 8th July.  Matt said ‘I hope this journey will make a real difference to the RNLI.’

If you would like to support his fundraising effort you can visit: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CircaNautica   There is also a Vodafone mobile giving account, just text CIRCA to 70700.




Busy week for Barmouth RNLI

The continuing fine weather has kept Barmouth RNLI’s volunteer crews busy for three days in the last week.

On Sunday 22nd June a crew member was kayaking in the main channel into Barmouth when she noticed two people on the sandbank near the perch in danger of being cut off from the tide.  She paddled in and explained the dangers facing the two walkers who were oblivious to the fact that the incoming tide was likely to cut them off from the main beach area.  She also alerted her fellow crew members who prepared to launch but stood down when it was reported that they had reached safety.

The following day, Monday the 23rd, there came a report of a dinghy with two persons on board in trouble off Barmouth promenade.  The RNLI Inshore Lifeboat the Clive Tanner was launched at 4.52 pm but the casualties had managed to make their way back to shore as the lifeboat arrived at the scene. The volunteer crew made sure they were safe before returning to the station.

Again on Wednesday 25th the ILB launched at 3.39 pm to go to the rescue of yet another two people cut off by the tide; this time on the far side of the harbour near Barmouth Bridge.  By the time the ILB crew arrived the couple had paddled to safety.  The volunteer crew did a thorough search of the area to ensure there was nobody else in danger before returning to the lifeboat station.

Barmouth RNLI Mechanic Llew Griffin said ‘It is tempting for tourists to walk out across the extensive banks of dried-out sands in the area, but they should always check the times of the tides first.  They should also be aware that channels can flood very quickly when the tide turns and they can soon by cut off from the mainland.’

Peaks of Achievement for Barmouth RNLI - Sunday 15th June

The volunteer crew and friends of Barmouth lifeboat arrived triumphant at the lifeboathouse at Barmouth on Sunday 15th June having completed the three highest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales, a total climb of over 11,000 feet, in under 24 hours. Barmouth Mayor John S Jones was there to welcome them.

Pictured, from left to right are: Gethin Williams, Kyle Smith, Neal Sheehan, Lark Davies, John Rollins, Mayor JS Jones, Martin East, Jackie Smith, Glen Morris, Helen Iles, Dan Cartwright, Coxswain Peter Davies and Russ Courtney..

The eleven were excited, exhausted but still enthusiastic, as they tumbled out of their minibus having had very little sleep over the past 36 hours. ‘One of the best experiences of my life’ was how it was described by one.  ‘Fantastic, but I don’t want to do it again’ by another.

The difficulty of the challenge should not be underestimated and their dedicated training schedule paid off with each mountain being climbed in under the estimated time.  One of the team, a qualified mountain leader, said that the three girls in the team, Lark Davies, Helen Iles and Jackie Smith, did amazingly well, their fitness and determination equalling, and even exceeding, that of some of their male counterparts. The ascent of Snowdon was described as ‘the worst because we were tired, but the best because we knew we could make it in time’.  At the summit they discovered a note wishing them well; left there the previous day by from Jackie’s son Ricky.  They were all eager to express their thanks to their two RNLI drivers, John Rollins and Neal Sheehan, who carried them safely for over 850 miles.

The amount raised for the RNLI, the charity that saves lives at sea, is expected to be well in excess of £2,000.

ILB launches to boat on fire - Saturday 14th June

In response to a call from HM Coastguard, Barmouth RNLI inshore lifeboat was launched at 11.45 am on Saturday 14th June when a report of a boat on fire outside the harbour had been received.  When the volunteer crew arrived on the scene, the fire had been extinguished and a local ferry boat had the casualty in tow.  The ILB escorted the vessels to the quayside and the casualty was made safe alongside the pontoon.

Later that day at 16.54 pm another call was received from HM Coastguard who had been telephoned by  a member of the public to say that two children were in trouble in an inflatable boat.  The call was ended before the caller was able to give the location of the incident so the Coastguard was unable to offer any more information.  The volunteer crew were paged and the inshore lifeboat put on a state of ‘immediate readiness’ but no further call was received.  It later transpired that two young children off Fairbourne beach in an inflatable boat had made it back to the shore safely.

The Boathouse Rocked - Sunday 25th May

On a wet Bank Holiday Sunday, 25th May, enthusiastic fundraisers from Barmouth RNLI again turned out, despite the rain,  to raise money for their favourite charity at the annual ‘Boathouse Rocks’ event.  From 12 noon the Lifeboat house on the promenade was alive with non-stop music provided by Batala Bermo and local groups of musicians who came together and generously gave their services free to the RNLI for the day.

The lifeboats were put on the beach ready to launch and crowds came into the shelter of the boathouse to listen to the music.  Home-baked cakes were on sale and the coxswain and crew served up tasty pork baps to hungry holidaymakers.

Organiser Sharon Cooney was delighted to report that the day raised over £2,200 towards RNLI funds; a truly marvellous result once again.  We hope that this popular and enjoyable day will be repeated next year.

Vintage cars visit Barmouth RNLI - Friday 23rd May

The rain did not deter four welcome visitors to Barmouth RNLI lifeboathouse on Friday afternoon 23rd May when Tony Phillips, Pamela Hunt and friends arrived in style in two vintage Austin 7s and a Rover 12 Tourer.  Starting from Little Haven in Pembrokeshire on Thursday the friends are circumnavigating Wales and raising money for the RNLI en route.
Tony, a member of Llangwm Rowing Club has a special reason for wanting to support the RNLI. He was badly injured while taking part in the Celtic Challenge Rowing Race from Arklow to Aberystwyth six years ago and was picked up by Arklow Lifeboat. He was very grateful for their help and vowed one day to ‘put something back in the pot’.

They intend to visit as many lifeboat stations as possible en route.  Today they came up to Barmouth from Aberystwyth via Aberdyfi and will go on to Porthmadog, Caernarfon and Llandudno, anticipating a return to Pembrokeshire by next Thursday. With the help of many friends and with collecting buckets at the ready, they are well on the way to reach their target of raising £1,000 for the RNLI. Pictured are the team and their cars outside the RNLI lifeboat house in Barmouth.

Barmouth RNLI Lifeboat crew take on Three Peaks Challenge

Members of the volunteer crew of Barmouth Lifeboat are busy training for a special fundraising event next month.  They plan to scale the three highest peaks in the UK: Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, all within a twenty-four hour period.

Their Three Peaks Challenge will take place on the weekend of 14th and 15th June, Accompanying Coxswain Peter Davies will be Head Launcher Jackie Thomas and Helen Iles, they will be joined by other members of the crew and friends.

You can view their progress on www.facebook.com/HelenIlesPhotography and if you would like to donate, go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Helen.Iles

Cyclist Leigh rides for the RNLI - Tuesday 20th May

Barmouth Lifeboat Station had a surprise visitor on Tuesday 20th May when 43 year-old Leigh Lewis of Writhlington, Somerset arrived.  Leigh has set himself the challenge of cycling 400 miles from Somerset to Llandudno in aid of the RNLI.  He left Burnham-on-sea on Saturday and battled through thunder and lightning in the Black Mountains during Monday’s storms.  With 60 miles to go, Leigh hopes to arrive in Llandudno on Wednesday.

Barmouth Lifeboat launches to the aid of three youngsters - Saturday 17th May

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat launched at 1.19 pm on Saturday afternoon 17th May 2014.  Neil Sheehan, a Barmouth volunteer crew member, was working on his boat in the harbour when he noticed three young children, who appeared to be between the ages of 10 and 12 years of age, paddling an inflatable kayak off Trwyn y Gwaith, at the entrance to Barmouth harbour.

Neil shouted a warning to them to take care and to be aware of the currents in the area when the kayak capsized, throwing all three into the water. He immediately called the Lifeboathouse and the Inshore Lifeboat was launched.

The children were in danger of being swept around the point and out to sea when they were also spotted by the local mooring contractor who headed for them in his boat. By the time the Inshore Lifeboat volunteer crew arrived at the incident, the children had been picked up and put ashore, shaken but safe.  After checking that they were safe and well, the volunteer crew returned to the lifeboat station.

Family make Donation to RNLI

Kathy Perry and her family, from Telford, called at Barmouth Lifeboat Station on Sunday 20th April to make a donation to the RNLI in memory of her mother Hazel Hughes.  Hazel had been a frequent visitor to Barmouth, and a life-long supporter of the RNLI.  

After returning from exercise, Coxswain Peter Davies and the volunteer crew of the All-Weather Lifeboat, the Moira Barrie, were pleased to pose with the family as Mrs Perry presented Barmouth RNLI with a cheque for £270.

Barmouth Lifeboat Launches for missing Child

Barmouth RNLI Inshore Lifeboat launched at 2.05 pm on Saturday afternoon 19th April 2014, when a distraught father called at the lifeboat station to say that his young daughter was missing.  He had left her near the shoreline while he took his other two children to their mother and when he returned she was nowhere to be seen.

Coxswain Peter Davies immediately launched the Inshore Lifeboat and the volunteer crew, together with HM Coastguard and Harbour Master, began a search of the busy beach and coastline. Thankfully, the child was soon located by the Harbour Master and returned to her grateful father.

Father and Son raise money for Barmouth RNLI

A father and son from Talybont have raised  over £580 for the RNLI. 30 year-old Dylan Tyrrel from Talybont and his father Graham successfully climbed to the top of Cader Idris to ‘Sleep on the Summit’ on SOS day, the 31st January 2014.

With rucksacks weighing 40kg, they cycled to the foot of Cader, then carried their bikes up to the summit to spend the night in the hut at the top, battling through gale force winds and snowdrifts to reach the summit in very poor visibilty. Graham Tyrrell said yesterday ‘The bad weather made it  much tougher and we took more time than planned, 30 hours.  I was doing it in memory of my brother Ken, who died six years ago and whose birthday it would have been that day so that kept me going. I had to finish’.

Dylan, whose brother Jamie is a member of the Barmouth RNLI volunteer shore crew said ‘It was great to be able to raise money for such a good cause and we are delighted to be able to present a cheque for £585.50’.  They are pictured with Coxswain Peter Davies and volunteer crew members at the boathouse just before the crew went out on exercise with the All Weather Lifeboat, the Moira Barrie. .

RNLI  Sponsored Walk - Friday 13th March

The Barmouth RNLI sponsored walk, postponed from January because of bad weather, was rescheduled for Friday 13th March when fundraisers gathered at the Lifeboathouse to raise money for the RNLI.  The 5 mile walk this time took the walkers over Barmouth bridge and along the Mawddach trail.  On their return to the Boathouse they were rewarded for their efforts with a warming bowl of soup and a tour of the lifeboat with Mechanic Llew Griffin.

Sponsorship money is still coming in but between them they hope to have raised almost £500.  Thanks to the unstinting generosity of the local community for this event and the sponsored swim on New Year’s Day, they are well on their way to another good year of fundraising for the charity that saves lives at sea.

Heroic effort to raise money for the RNLI

What a heroic effort by Dylan Tyrrel and his Dad Graham from Talybont! On what has been one of the worse weekends for weather this year they have successfully completed their climb to the top of Cader Idris in aid of the RNLI.

The pair left Talybont at 10am on Friday 31st January complete with bikes and with rucksacks weighing 40kg to cycle to the foot of Cader.  They then planned to carry their bikes up to the summit, with the intention of spending the night in the hut at the top.  Dylan’s brother Jamie is on the shore crew and his frequent postings on Facebook kept us all informed of their ascent with ferocious winds and driving rain slowing them down.  They reached the summit in snow at 21.01 and after a change into dry clothes and a brief rest, made their way down at 05.35 on Saturday.  They had a break in Dolgellau, then returned to Talybont having completed the entire challenge in 30 hours and raising over £540 for the RNLI.  You can still donate to their effort at justgiving.com/Dylan-Tyrrell or at Mr T’s electrical shop in Barmouth.
Well done the pair of you from all at Barmouth Lifeboat – a truly magnificent effort!

Please consider visiting http://www.justgiving.com/Dylan-Tyrrell to donate and support their efforts


Have we got old News for you

We have added a new feature to our History menu - Old News. This new feature contains the first of what we hope will be many more interesting News articles from our past. As items from our past emerge we hope to be able to publish them on the website. If you have any interesting historical snippets, stories or photographs which relate to Barmouth RNLI please share them with us. We will be delighted to add them to our Old News web page. You can get in touch with us on our Contact us page or directly with Norma Stockford whose details are at the bottom of this page.


RNLI Chief Executive visits Barmouth volunteers

Paul Boissier, Chief Executive of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution based at the National Headquarters in Poole, Dorset visited Barmouth lifeboat station today, 9 January, to meet the volunteer crew and supporters.

Paul Boissier completed a very successful career in the Royal Navy between 1974 and 2009, retiring with the rank of Deputy Commander-in-Chief Fleet; he subsequently joined the RNLI as Chief Executive. He was accompanied by Colin Williams, the RNLI’s Regional Operations Manager and Inspector of Lifeboats.

Mr Boissier met and spoke to officers of the Barmouth Lifeboat, the volunteer crew, shore crew and fundraising personnel, thanking them all for devoting their time so freely to the work of the RNLI.  He was keen to know what the RNLI in Poole could do to improve things for Barmouth volunteers, and it was suggested that, in the light of recent events in Barmouth, some Flood Rescue training might be helpful for the crew. Matt Crofts, Divisional Operations Manager in charge for the North Wales Flood Rescue Team, also visiting the station, explained that although they are all experienced lifeboat crew the situations volunteers may find themselves in during inland flooding are very different to those they encounter during sea rescues.  He would arrange for an element of Flood Rescue training to be incorporated into the Barmouth volunteers’ future training schedule.  

After touring the station and viewing the all-weather Lifeboat the Moira Barrie and the D class inshore lifeboat the Clive Tanner, he appeared impressed, commenting on the fine condition of the boats and the station.  David Baily, Lifeboat Operations Manager said: ‘It was a great honour for the station to receive its first visit by our current Chief Executive and a very proud moment for us all as Mr Boissier congratulated us on our well run station and clearly enthusiastic crew.'

Norma Stockford, Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer said: ‘Mr Boissier’s visit to this part of the coast was appreciated by all the volunteers at Barmouth, and it was a pleasure to see his interest in our activities and to be assured that our efforts and commitment to the RNLI are recognised.’


Barmouth lifeboats Launch for missing person - Thursday 2nd January

Both Barmouth Lifeboats were launched today in response to a call from HM Coastguard to carry out a search for a suspected missing person. The Inshore Lifeboat launched at 01.18 pm on Thursday 2nd January 2014 to conduct a search of the harbour, bridge and coastal area and the All Weather Lifeboat was launched at 02.03 pm.  Volunteer crews of both boats carried out a systematic search of the sea, harbour, riverbank and estuary area; police and Sea king helicopters were also involved.  

Later in the afternoon HM Coastguard teams and the South Snowdonia Search and Rescue team joined in the search. After conducting a thorough search, and as light was failing, the inshore lifeboat returned to station at 4.00 pm and the all weather lifeboat returned at 4.30 pm.


Barmouth RNLI Volunteers brave the Stormy Weather on New Years Day


South-easterly gales were not enough to deter the hardy volunteers of Barmouth RNLI take their annual dip into the stormy waters of Cardigan Bay on New Year’s Day.
Despite the wind and rain, crowds of supporters battled through to watch more than 40 people take the plunge in biting winds to raise money for the RNLI. And it wasn’t just the swimmers who enjoyed the excitement, well-wishers Mark and Lyndsay cycled down the Mawddach trail to watch the event – and risked being blown off Barmouth Bridge.

At 11 am, on the instructions of coxswain Peter Davies, they raced down the beach and plunged into the icy waters, some in fancy dress, some in wetsuits, and some in very little at all!  There were whoops of delight and squeals of laughter as they leapt into the waves, and even the Coastguard joined in! Again this year the crew were joined by friends and visitors from far and wide, bringing a welcome splash of colour and fun to a bleak first day of January on Barmouth beach. Hot drinks and a warming barbecue brunch were served in the Lifeboat station, and the canon was again fired at noon in remembrance of past crew members.

The crew and volunteers are extremely grateful to locals and visitors for their unstinting generosity to the RNLI, and wish to thank everyone for their support to the charity that saves lives at sea.


For further information about these News items please contact
Norma Stockford, Barmouth lifeboats volunteer press officer
on 01341 280742 or 07917 245882, or email her at our contacts page


or Danielle Rush, RNLI Divisional Media Relations Manager Wales and West on 01745 585162 / 07786 668829

and you can also visit the official RNLI Press Centre at :-

RNLI online

For more information on the RNLI please visit www.rnli.org.uk. News releases and other media resources, including RSS feeds, downloadable photos and video, are available at the RNLI Press Centre www.rnli.org.uk/press

Key facts about the RNLI

The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 230 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and has more than 100 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824 its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 137,000 lives.

A charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SCO37736). Charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland